Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Invention and Abdication

Hey everybody in blogging world (also apparently known as the "Internet"); it's been a while,

After a long hiatus thanks to my continuing education, I thought I might try to start contributing again. Don't get too upset though - I am still in school, so we'll see how long this lasts. Anyway, after over a year's worth of procrastinating (a new record?), I made Dan an Administrator. There will be a brief ceremony with cocktails to follow. With no smooth transition at all, here is my post:

When I was a young undergrad student at Our Lady's University, I once invented the wristwatch. Honestly. I was sitting in class, half asleep I think, and could not see the clock. (It was philosophy, and I wanted to count down 'til the class's end). So, I started thinking: wouldn't it be great if we all carried little clocks with us? Then, we wouldn't need to have clocks all over the place; we would just check our little clocks whenever we wanted to know the time! We could - I don't know - where them on our wrists or - oh.... Yeah, that's when it hit me. The wristwatch had already been invented (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wristwatch#Types_of_watch). So, Antonio Meucci I am not.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meucci).

This past week, I had a similar experience. One thing you should know about me: I like books. A lot. So, I was thinking: wouldn't it be great if all the world's libraries were available online? Why should I have to either a.) find Huckleberry Finn at a building that may be far from my house or b.) (and even worse!) buy it? Well, it looks like I have been trumped again:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/technology/22library.html?ex=1350964800&en=f7f2d401bbef5e28&ei=5089&partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss


That's right. Google and other organizations have already started to put books online! And you can access them for free! Only old books, the copyrights of which have expired but I like where this is going.

Your thoughts?
Any "Meucci" moments in your experiences?

2 comments:

Dan said...

Hey welcome back to the blog! Do you wear a wristwatch? Have a pocketwatch?

Anonymous said...

Neither. I'm still bitter about not inventing it.