Sunday, March 26, 2006

FYI - Immigration stuff drops in the Senate this week. The House calendar is available online at www.house.gov Also, as far as seeing bills, here's a good resource : www.thomas.loc.gov (as in Mr. Jefferson and the Library of Congress). It's a search engine for every bill, amendment, or resolution before this 109th Congress. Shows you the full text, motions, status, sponsors, votes (if by roll-call in the Senate, I think always in the House), etc.

As most of us (who saw that coming) are in some way associated or at least interested in Villanova basketball, a shout out to the team that lost tonight. Seemed like it was a fun season, at least, for those of you there. What a Final Four. Jeeze. One week to go now and we can all start to focus on what's important: Spring Football at Notre Dame.

And, Paul and JD, saw your comments on the Man in Black. Do you guys want to be able to just post? Rather than comment? Let me or Dan know and we will hook you up. I agree that he was a glass-half-full guy, but I think we need those, especially in the arts. I think it keeps the rest of us honest. Nice shameless plug, Dan, good luck on the show.

Lastly, check the numbers on this , but as excrutiatingly uncomfortable the President looks in press conferences, he's actually done a few. There's a nice article floating around about how the White House press corps. and press conferences changed during the Clinton administration. I'll try to hunt it down. But it those conferences are an interesting event....does anyone out there think it matters how the personalities of the WH communications staff (the President included) and the press corps. members mesh matters? I'm no journalist, so I can't understand that whole phenomenon. It seems to me like the same questions are always asked and the same answers are always given, or at very least, the answers that more than half of us could figure out anyway are given. And yet, Wolf Blitzer and Shep Smith always have something to talk about....go figure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If i were posting, who would comment? I am pretty excited about the final four. It is awesome the GMU won yesterday, proving again that the gap between mid-majors and the power conferences has all but vanished. I am pulling for LSU now, i love the way their big guys play, and the final between them and Florida is going to be incredible. That is my prediction. Finally, I am shocked and appalled that you would associate spring with anything other than the Phillies. I thought you were better than that, Chip. Go Phils!

Anonymous said...

One more thing:
Do/Should we, as college students (most of us, anyway), actually care about the full text, motions, status, sponsors, votes, etc. before the 109th Congress? I know we should care about the outcome of the bills and amendments and such coming out of congress, but is the road traveled by these articles a necessity for those of us in our early 20's? Let me know, because I, personally, don't really care about every motion that takes place in Congress.

PJ said...

I'm honored by your offer of posting status, however, I feel highly unqualified to propagate political hoopla. Dan will be the first to tell you, I'd pretty much just vent Bush discontentisms (and I'd probably make up words, too.) I echo JD's sentiments that we two shall carry the burden and supreme pleasure of commentinating (take THAT spell check!) until such a time as TDB receives the veritable barage /onslaught/myriad/plethera of web bits,bytes,licks and chomps that it deserves.

Should you ever desire a guest post on information technology or LOST, or a post on the former's relation to politics, or a post on the latter's relation to PJ's philosophical musings, I'm your guy.

Initials and Psuedonyms (take that spell check?) are silly (no disrespect jd). My name is Paul Edward Juska, Jr. But you can call me PJ.

JD, I can see the appeal of Congress Tracking, kind of like a free horserace with much higher stakes, but it's definentely not for everyone, especially us.

GO 'NOV---PHILLIES!

Oh, and I don't know much about the Irish, but I've never met an Irishman I didn't like, and they're alright by me. Once a guy spilled a little Guinness on me in the Crane Bar in Galway, and he bought me a whole 'nother Guinness. Crane Bar - solid music. Full Irish.

I had two beers.